Monday, August 5, 2013

Skirt Steak Fajitas

We grilled these skirt steaks a couple of weeks ago. I pounded them out with a mallet and rubbed them with Bill Baron's Texas BBQ with Chipotle seasoning. We grilled them for four minutes per side on high heat, and let them rest for 15 minutes before cutting them into strips. I like using Steven Raichlen's method of cutting them in half crosswise, stacking the two pieces, and then thinly slicing them lengthwise (across the grain).


We served them with grilled flour tortillas, sautéed onions and bell peppers, cilantro, and homemade guacamole.


I also quick-pickled sliced jalapeños and diced red onions together in lime juice and sea salt. It was a simple and amazing side, although quite fiery, as I did not remove the jalapeño seeds or membranes. The Tallgrass Ethos IPA that I paired with the fajitas helped strip away the heat though.

The fajitas were delicious. My only criticism is that I could have sliced the meat a little thinner; skirt steak is a stringy cut no matter how thoroughly you tenderize it, and the thinner you slice it, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment